One of the most iconic Magic Kingdom rides is Haunted Mansion. The Haunted Mansion sits atop a hill in Liberty Square and is the home to 999 ghosts. While you might think you know everything there is to know about the Haunted Mansion Disney World ride, we actually have 10 facts that may surprise you.
This iconic Haunted Manion Disney World ride has been thrilling and terrifying visitors since its opening in 1969.
But even if you’ve ridden it countless times, there may still be some facts about this haunted house that you don’t know.
10 Haunted Mansion Disney World Ride Facts
- During the queue, you will see graves for many different imagineers. Most days you will find that there is a rose placed on Master Gracey’s grave. Yale Gracey was actually the Haunted Mansion Special Effects Design Team leader.
- On your way into the Haunted Mansion, pay attention to Madame Leota’s grave. Look at her image long enough, and you might find her looking back.
- Madame Leota was actually a real person. She got her name from a model-building Imagineer named Leota Toombs
- Eleanor Audley voices Madame Leota during the ride. You might recognize her voice as she also voiced Lady Tremaine (Cinderella) and Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty).
- Before entering the ride, you wait in the lobby and suddenly the lights go out and the floor seems to slowly drop. In reality, the ceiling rises, and guests remain on the same level they walked in on.
- Besides the park guests, there are 2 other living creatures in the Haunted Mansion. They are lit differently than the ghosts to denote that they are living. See if you can spot them!
- There is a Hidden Mickey on the dining room table in the Banquet scene.
- There is a wedding ring implanted in the cement as you exit the ride.
- As you leave, there is a pet cemetery on the hill to the left. You’ll find tombstones for several animals, but there is one that is also a Disney character: Mr. Toad.
- There are giant chess pieces on top of The Haunted Mansion. There is one piece missing, the knight. Supposedly it is because it’s always night inside the mansion. Get it?
The Haunted Mansion continues to be a beloved and iconic Disney World attraction that never fails to thrill and delight guests of all ages.
So, the next time you take a doom buggy ride through this spooky mansion, remember these fun facts and appreciate the attention to detail that makes the Haunted Mansion one of Disney’s most famous and enduring attractions.
Did you know all of these Haunted Mansion facts?
Disney World Planning Information
There is so much to think about when it comes to planning your Disney vacation. We encourage you to check out our entire site, but if you are just getting started with planning, we have some posts you should begin with.
Looking for the best time to visit Disney World? We have Disney World crowd calendars that will tell you what’s going on each month of the year, dates to avoid, typical weather conditions, and other useful information.
Considering a Disney World Resort? There are so many perks to staying on Disney property. We have a full list of all the Disney Resorts as well as many Disney Resort reviews for you to get a firsthand perspective.
Want to get the best deal on your trip? We can show you not only how to travel to Disney on a budget, but we can also give you ideas on how to save on Disney tickets and where to book your vacation so that you get the best price.
We even have Disney packing lists, essential park day items and other things to consider bringing with you to the park that you might not think about.
Lastly, if you are traveling to Disney World for the first time and unsure how Genie+ and Lightning Lane work, where to find Hidden Mickeys or if you should add a Disney Dining Plan, we have tons of information to share..
Remember that we aren’t travel agents, we are regular Disney travelers just like you, but have been blessed with the opportunity to visit the parks regularly. Because we’ve been so much, we’ve learned many valuable Disney insider tips that we can share with others.