(We may earn a commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy.)
Now that Disneyland has reopened completely, you might be considering a vacation to the parks in the next year. If so, you will want to make sure that you are up to date on the latest Disneyland reopening guidelines. As they change, we will continue to update this post.
Disneyland Reopening: What You Can Expect
- Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) while indoors, including on many attractions and in enclosed transportation vehicles, regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings remain optional for all Guests in outdoor common areas.
- Select attractions and certain experiences—such as parades and nighttime spectaculars are postponed until further notice.
- You will also no longer be able to do character meet & greets or extra experiences like a makeover at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
But not to worry, you will still be able to see characters.
Disney characters will pop up in new ways and sometimes in unexpected places as they remain mindful of physical distancing. Here is where you might spot them:
- Main Street, U.S.A. – Mickey Mouse and some of his pals may be seen waving from the steps of the Disneyland Railroad station.
- Royal Theatre in Fantasyland – From Cinderella to Rapunzel, Snow White, Mulan, Elena of Avalor and many others, guests will be delighted as they are greeted by Disney Royalty. Princesses will pose and wave at a distance for photos with their royal guests.
- Small World Terrace – Alice and other wonderful Disney friends frolic in the fun as they invite guests to see them at a distance at Small World Terrace.
- New Orleans Square – The characters of New Orleans Square have returned to their old haunts, and some new ones: Tiana and the pirate known as Redd take up residence on some of the more elevated positions in the land, interacting with guests from afar on the balcony of the 21 Royal Residence, above Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Mickey’s Toontown – Mickey Mouse and his friends have returned to their homes at Mickey’s Toontown where guests can wave to them and take photos from a distance outside their wacky abodes, and at the Toontown gazebo.
- Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland – At Zocalo Park, guests may spot Miguel dressed in mariachi finery and waving to everyone from among the colorful marigolds and papel picado décor inspired by Disney and Pixar’s award-winning film, “Coco.”
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – While living their own adventures in a galaxy far, far away, guests are likely to come across familiar faces as they explore the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. Heroes of the Resistance including Rey, Chewbacca and Vi Moradi may be spotted on the platforms above the speeder garage in Black Spire Station. A contingent of First Order Stormtroopers join Kylo Ren in patrolling the landing platform at Docking Bay 9 beneath their TIE Echelon vehicle.
Disney California Adventure Park
- Carthay Fountain/Buena Vista Street – As guests reach the heart of Disney California Adventure, they will find themselves drawn to the fountain as the center of the action. Mickey Mouse and his friends have stepped out on the town in order to wave hello and welcome back all their friends.
- Super Heroes – When Disneyland Resort reopens, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes will make their way to the Hollywood Backlot Stage, where adoring fans can wave and cheer for Black Widow, Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Black Panther and the Dora Milaje, as they strike heroic poses throughout the day.
- Cars Land – At Radiator Springs, guests can share a laugh and take memorable photos with some of their favorite characters such as Mater, Lightning McQueen and Red the fire truck along the land’s Route 66.
- Pixar Pals – A variety of Pixar characters such as Woody, Jessie, Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Edna Mode, Frozone, and Joy and Sadness will wave and pose from the Pixar Pier bandshell stage.
- Disney Junior – Favorite Disney Junior stars, from Vampirina to Doc McStuffins, wave and interact with their friends from the stage of the Disney Theater in Hollywood Land.
- Paradise Gardens Park – Guests may see Officer Judy Hopps and her friend Nick Wilde from Disney’s “Zootopia” on patrol.
Disneyland Resorts Reopening
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, and the Disneyland Hotel are now open with reduced capacity.
You can book your stay anytime, just be aware that since the resorts are at a limited capacity, you may not get your first choice of hotel.
Are you excited to get back to Disneyland?