If you are taking a cruise with Disney Cruise Line one of the places you may go is Key West. Key West is the furthermost point in the United States and is also a port city for cruise ships. It is a tropical paradise with plenty of fun things you and your family can enjoy! If you are heading to Key West, here are some things to do during your day at port.
- Trolley Tour. If you are short on time, a great way to see the island is on a trolley tour. There are several tour companies on the island and you don’t have to book through Disney Cruise Line to get a deal. Simply walk over from the port to the tour station and buy your tickets in person. Trains leave about every 20 minutes. They take you to all of the popular tourist sites and it is hop on/ hop off, so you can do site-seeing on foot too.
- Beach. Key West is a tropical oasis, but the beaches are just okay. You can take a taxi or a trolley over to Smathers (which is the largest of the public beaches). Just be advised that while there is sand on the beach itself, the water is quite rocky underneath and you would be best served to wear water shoes.
- Snorkeling. Key West is perfect for those who love to snorkel because of its crystal blue waters. While it is possible to snorkel from the beach, you are probably better served to snorkel by boat with a group.
- Key Lime Pie Factory. If there is one thing you HAVE to eat in Key West, it is Key Lime something. There is Key Lime Pie, Key Lime Pie on a Stick (covered in chocolate, no less), Key Lime Candy and I’m sure other delicious goodies. My favorite is the Key Lime Pie on a stick! Head over to the Key Lime Pie Factory and cool off with a yummy treat.
- Dry Tortugas National Park. The 19th century Fort Jefferson can be found here and it is one of the most remote National parks in the US (it is only accessible by boat and seaplane). It is a great place to learn about history, see an authentic fort, observe wildlife and it has its own beach with snorkeling on site!
- Shop & Eat on Duval Street. This is the main thoroughfare in Key West. You will find popular bars like Margaritaville, Hard Rock Cafe & Senor Frogs (in case you want a t-shirt) but there are just as many wonderful mom & pop eateries. You will also find a ton of souvenir shops. Since you will most likely be there during the day, you can enjoy this area before all the loud drunks come out. Seriously, it gets crazy there at night.
These are just a sampling of the fun things you can do while in Key West! Disney Cruise Line will give you plenty of cruise excursions to choose from (or you can book your own), but if you would rather be on your own for the day, Key West is easy to get around and safe to do so on your own.